Cannon was born on October 8, 1980, in San Diego, California. He was the son of Beth (née Hackett), an accountant, and James Cannon, a motivational televangelist.
Growing up, he divided his time between San Diego, where his mother lived, and Charlotte, North Carolina, where his father had worked. At age 11, Cannon received his first break doing stand-up comedy on his father's local cable access program.
After graduating in 1998 from Monte Vista High School in Spring Valley, California, Cannon attained a gig as a warm-up comedian for Nickelodeon's studio audience in Los Angeles, most notably All That, where he also made guest appearances.
- He filmed a pilot produced by Will Smith for the WB Network called "Loose Cannon" during the summer of 2001.
- He gaduated from Monte Vista High School in Spring Valley, California in 1998.
- Nick wrote a song about when his young mother found out she was pregnant with him. The song he wrote is called "Can I Live?" and was his thank you for his mother for giving him life.
- He formed the rap duo "Da Bomb Squad" with his best friend. They opened for the likes of Will Smith, LFO, 98 Degrees, and Montell Jordan.
- He married Mariah Carey 2.5 months after dating her, but they'd been friends since 2005 when he presented her with a Teen Choice Award. However, the two split up and divorced in 2014.
- His twins were born on April 30, 2011 in Los Angeles. The girl, Monroe Cannon, weighed 5 lbs 3 oz and was 18 inches long; and the boy, Moroccan Scott Cannon, weighed 5 lbs 6 oz and was 19 inches long.
- He guest starred in the last episode of Make it Pop Season 1 Heart, Courage, Brains, serving as a famous celebrity.
- He owns XO-IQ.